When i am smoking meat like to use Jalapeño powder in my rubs. I have been unable to find any commercially so i have to make my own. I am going to give a step by step on how to make your own.
1. You need to go get some Jalapeños. I try and use my home grown but during the winter i have to go get some from the store. I recommend getting 2-3 pounds.
2. Cut off the stems of the jalapeños and then cut them in half lengthwise. Wear some rubber gloves when you do this, if you don’t your fingers will be spicy for hours. I have forgotten and touched my eye, and that burns.
3. Put all the jalapeños into a dehydrator. I use a Nesco American Harvest FD-37 400 Watt Food Dehydrator. You want to leave it running for around 12-13 hours.
4. After it is done feel them, if they still feel squish let them continue to dehydrate another hour until they are hard and dried out.
5. Now put them all into a glass or plastic container and into your freezer for a few hours.
6. Dump this all into a blender, food processor, or coffee grinder. Grind it.
7. At this point you will have some chunks that won’t grind up.
8. Run all the powder through a sieve into your storage container, this will get all the big pieces out.
9. You will now have a container of jalapeño powder. I use a plastic container with a snap down seal. Store in the freeze it will keep longer.
10. Enjoy. If you would like to see how i use this in my brisket rub click here.